Envrionmental Risk Factors
Home Safety Living Environment For Fall Prevention
- Falls are the leading cause of injury death amongst seniors in San Diego County.
- Of the 355,613 seniors in San Diego County, 118,000 will fall this year (1 in 3).
- Of these, 88,000 (75%) will fall a second time within 6 months of the first fall.
- 20-30% of seniors that fall will suffer injuries that cause them to lose their independence.
What can you DO to not become a statistic?
- Improve your home safety by making your living environment as safe as possible.
- Use your assistive device at all times in your apartment. Don’t take risks, low reward.
- Be honest with yourself, ask for help when it is needed. Report your falls to the staff.
- Exercise daily and improve your strength and balance. Like brushing your teeth.
Improving Your Home Safety Environment
- Need enough clearance for walkers/canes to get through easily. Direct path is best.
- Remove all throw rugs unless taped double sided- loose corners can cause tripping.
- Lighting at night- place nightlights along path from bedroom to bathroom.
- Lamps, extension cords, telephone cords are outside of walking path.
- Get a toilet seat riser if it is difficult to get off the toilet or you have to pull yourself up.
- No throw rugs unless taped double sided- big-time risk for tripping on them.
- Use a shower bench (different kinds) if you feel even a little unsteady on your feet.
- Install a non-slip mat in the shower to prevent slipping.
- Make sure you have enough handrails installed to grab onto for safety. No towel racks.
- Move medicines/toiletries from cabinet to close proximity to reduce reaching.
- Sitting on edge of bed thighs are parallel to the floor with feet firmly on the floor.
- Bed covering hangs above the floor so you will not step on it.
- Mattress does not sag and is supportive when lying on it.
- Phone is within easy reach of bed and has large numbers on it to see it.
- Bedside commode available if nighttime trips to the bathroom are difficult.
- Do not use furniture while walking in apartment. Especially unstable furniture.
- Low tables, coffee tables are located out of walking path, especially with low vision.
- Sofa/chair is at appropriate height for sitting. Thighs parallel to floor. Chair Risers needed?
- Phone us within easy reach of sitting location.
- Easy path to blinds on windows, no reaching. Good lighting throughout house.
For more Information about home care Please call:
Affordable & Quality Home Care Services
This entry was posted in Uncategorized
. Bookmark the permalink